Friday, April 12, 2013

Why Can't I Get My Lace Wig To Bond Anymore?

When I was a first-time lace wig wearer, I ran into an issue where I could no longer achieve a good bond the way I did when I first purchased my unit. I washed it several times with my shampoo as instructed, but to no avail the lace wig would still not adhere properly to my skin. Fast-forward through many years of wearing lace wigs and learning how to clean them properly, I found that a regular shampoo wash is just not enough to get the job done of removing all the residue...especially if your lace wig was bonded for more than two weeks. Think about it....sweat, oils, and dirt has been building up on your skin and the lace for over two weeks. Sound nasty, but it's true. This combination sometimes leave behind microscopic residue, if you're only washing your unit with regular shampoo.  I use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo products in addition to my shampoo to help remove any residue left over from removing the adhesive and tape. These two products are powerful and works fast.

How to Use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo To Remove Residue:


  • Step One: Prior to washing lace wig, gently remove all adhesive and tape using a cottonball soaked in a adhesive remover or 91% Alcohol. 
  • Fill a basin with lukewarm water, add your favorite clarifying shampoo, Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo, and 1/4 cup of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
  • Spray the hair with Conditioner diluted w/water in a spray bottle. This helps that hair from swelling and frizzing up. 
  • Allow the lace wig to soak in the water for about five minutes, then using your fingers gently rub the adhesive area to help remove the residue. 
  • Rinse using lukewarm water
  • If residue is still on the lace, repeat the process
  • Apply conditioner to the hair, not the lace and allow it to sit for three to five minutes 
  • Rinse using cold water to seal the cuticles of the hair
  • Apply your favorite serum & air dry
This is the process that I use to deep clean my lace wigs to remove the embedded residue that causes the unit to not bond properly. 

What products do you use to remove the stubborn residue left behind on your lace wigs? 



No comments:

Post a Comment