Monday, September 10, 2012

What's Your Favorite Feature?

Source: Essence.com
This past weekend was very calm and relaxing where I actually I had some down time to read Essence (October issue) magazine. I must say that this issue had a lot of goodies in it starting with the Beauty Encyclopedia, Beauty Awards, the scoop on Jill Scott, article on how to build your life up, and the my favorite section...Your Beauty, Your Way.

The section on Your Beauty, Your Way is about different women who were winners in the Dare to Be You Beauty Search and they were asked what their favorite feature was on their body and why. As I was flipping through the pages reading about each person's favorite feature, I landed on a page with a beautiful woman who was bald. As I read the page, I had tears in my eyes because I just couldn't believe what I was reading. The woman's name was Ceriene L. and her favorite feature was her bald head. Alopecia Areata was the reason why Ceriene was bald! Ceriene said "When I look in the mirror I see a woman who is walking in confidence and grace and is strong in knowing who she is".  This was such a powerful statement. There are so many women with alopecia who refuses to look in the mirror because they think they are ugly or no longer feel like a woman. I used to feel that way for about eight years after being diagnosed with alopecia areata.  My mother is the one who practically forced me to look in the mirror at the beauty God has blessed me with. 

Over time I would pick apart different features on my face and make that my main focus to overcome my hair issue and face the world with happiness. My best features are my eyes and lips. I overindulge in makeup to bring these features out.  I am still in the process of  building the confidence to face with world with my baldness, but I am too addicted to hair to do so. 

So Ladies, what is your favorite feature? If you do not have a favorite feature, take some serious one on one time  with yourself and really study your face. You will begin to fall in love with yourself all over again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment