Thursday, December 20, 2012

Alopecian Mother's Fear: Her Babies Hair

A few weeks ago, I posted a picture of my daughter's natural hair on my Facebook page. Being that I have Alopecia, I always fear that it may happen to one of my children (I have three). Two of my babies have long hair while the other prefers his nice & short. I take extra care when caring for their hair to avoid any type of hair loss. When I was younger, no one could tame my wild, frizzy curls so I received my first perm when I was in the sixth grade. Thinking back, I wish a perm never touched my hair because I feel that this may have caused the development of Alopecia Areata. I am so thankful for the times that we live in now where there's a large source of information on how to care for natural hair down to the exact hair type. I search for most of my help on NaturallyCurly.com

I made a vow to not ever put any chemicals in my daughter's hair and to teach her how to embrace and care for natural hair. I only use a handful of products on my babies hair where some are natural and all are alcohol-free. The products that I mainly use is Mixed Chicks, Carol's Daughter, Creme of Nature Argan Oil collection (use when pockets are tight...lol), Shea Moisture, and Moroccan Oil.

I use a different regime for my daughter and my son because they have different hair textures. My daughter's hair is Type 3C between 18-20" in length, and my son is Type 4A between 8-9" in length. 

Daughter's Hair Regime:
I wash her hair once a week with Mixed Chicks Shampoo, Deep Conditioner, and Leave-In Conditioner. I leave the Deep Conditioner on for about 10-20 minutes and once a month I let her sit under the dryer for a deeper condition mixed with Moroccan Oil treatment. 
For curly/wavy styling (ponytails): I use Carol's Daughter Marguerite's Magic and Shea Moisture Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk. Throughout the week, I allow her to lightly spray her hair with conditioner water (10% Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner diluted with water in a spray bottle) to revive the curls. I do not use too much product on her hair because it will weighed down too quickly. 
For straight styling: I follow the same wash pattern as above and skip the Mixed Chicks Conditioner. I spray her hair with Luster's Pink Glosser and dry the hair in section with an hair dryer. When all dry, I apply the Carol's Daughter Marguerite's Magic around the edges of her hair. In small sections, I spray the Luster's Pink Glosser and flat iron the hair straight. At night, I wrap her hair up in a satin scarf/bonnet. The straight style will actually last a week, if she doesn't get it wet. No extra oils are needed because the Luster's Pink Glosser provides all the necessary oils to protect the  hair from heat damage, conditions it, and gives off a nice sheen all at the same time.


Son's Hair Regime:
Now with my four year old son's hair, I have to treat his quite differently. One because he has a different hair type, two he doesn't sit still for too long. I try washing his hair once a week, but most of the time it pushes to the two week mark. The only shampoo that detangles his hair fast, quick, and in a hurry is the Mixed Chicks Kids Shampoo. I actually use the whole kids collection on him. I use Moroccan Oil Treatment and Carol's Daughter Original Hair Milk. If my son gives me problems, I will shorten the process by just cowashing his hair. I do no styling with his hair because he has no patience...lol. As shown in the picture is how his hair is styled every day.     


I purchase Mixed Chicks, Carol's Daughter, and Moroccan Oil Treatment from a local salon in the mall. The other products I go to my local Target or Sally's Beauty Supply store. I hope this post will help other mothers on how to care for their child's natural hair. I am not a Cosmetologist.....just a mother who has Alopecia Totalis trying to protect her babies hair. 

2 comments:

  1. Your daughter's hair is BEAUTIFUL. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter hair is beautiful and far as the perm i don't think that would cause Alopecia ...I was getting my hair wash and press every Saturday so i didn't have any chemicals in my hair and i still developed Alopecia.

    ReplyDelete